Sunday, October 5, 2014

HSG test

Well my projected timeline of getting my HSG test done was surprisingly faster than I thought. I called the OBGYN clinic when I was 10 days out from my cycle starting and magically they were able to book my appointment. I honestly thought that this was going to be a battle.

On the 26th of September I had my procecure done. By no means was it a pleasent procedure or smooth day. I decided to not take time off from work to get the test done. My thoughts were since I wasn't going to be on any pain medication I should be fine. Boy was I wrong!

My day at the clinic started at 8am to take a pregnancy test. Then I had to come back an hour later for the procedure. I met Preston in the hall of the hospital and we both walked down to radiology to check in. As I am checking in the front desk tells me that they are pretty sure the HSG test was never ordered. They ask me to sit down and wait and they will double check. Big tears start to form in my eyes and I start getting upset and I begin to tell Preston that if I have to reschedule for next month I'm going to loose it. After 30 minutes they were able to scramble everything together to make sure that I was able to get my test done. I thanked the corpsman for being able to do this for me.

Once I was in my awesome gown and finally in the room I had an awkward moment with a female corpsman. We were both waiting for the doctor to get there. So I made the mistake of making eye contact with her. She then smiles and then asks "so your trying to become pregnant?" (Insert awkward laugh)   My response: "yes."  Corpsman: "oh I have two children." (Insert awkward laugh)  From that point on I avoided eye contact until the doctor came in.

Once my doctor arrived he informed me that we are going to have to get creative. Reason being there were no leg stirrups. So he had me lay down on my back and put my legs like I am doing the butterfly stretch. At one point he was trying to get me to have my knees touch the table and tells me to lay like I'm at the beach. My reply was I don't ever lay like this at the beach. By now my legs are bouncing because one I never lay like this and two I'm a ball of nerves.

I won't go into more details about what happed because thats a tad bit too much. But what I will say is if you are going to have this procedure done I highly recommend speaking to your doctor about some pain medication epically if you don't have a high pain tolerance. If you want to know all the details about the procedure feel free to google it. (http://www.advancedfertility.com/hsg.htm)

I tried my best to not cry or let anyone know I was in pain. But at one point it was too much and I yelled and I also yelled a few curse words. Hands down that has been the worst thing I've had to endure through the past 4 years. The sad thing is I've had it done 2 other times. In my defense the 1st time I was on pain meds and the  2nd time I was knocked out because they did it during one of my surgeries.

Fast forward one week and I had to call the clinics Lt nonstop all morning to get her to pick up the phone. After the 11th attempt I was able to speak with her. I asked her to read me my results from the test. Everything came back normal.

-Kate


2 comments: